1984 Ducati TT1 750

( From "The Ducati Story" by Ian Falloon / Haynes
Publishing 1996)

With the possibility of the World Championship TT2 class
disappearing completely, Ducati hastened development of a 750
cc TTl version of the Pantah for 1984. As previously mentioned,
both TT1 and World Endurance were hecoming limited to 750
cc, so a longer 61.5 mm stroked crankshaft was homologated
with the 650SL Pantah, Even as far back as March 1982 a 750
cc version of the TT2 had been raced by Jimmy Adamo for Reno
Leoni at the Daytona 200, finishing 13th overall. This bike had
produced nearly 95 bhp at 10,2.50 rpm, with a tap speed of
almost 155 mph (2.50 km/h). The following year at Daytona, this
time in the Battle of the Twins race, Tony Rutter took the 750
TT1 to third place. Then, in July 1983, at Ducati's happy hunting
ground, Montjuich Park, a TTl won the now non-cham-pionship
24 Hour race with Benjamin Grau, Enrique de Juan, and Luis
Ries. Prepared by Franco Fame, the 135 kg (298 lb) racer
produced 86 bhp at 9,000 rpm, but the riders limited this to
8,000 rpm during the race, and 83 - 4 bhp. In front of ZSO,C00
spectators they completed 708 laps, compared to the
second-place French Kawasaki's 690.

While Tony Rutter still raced the 600TT2 in 1984, and won the
Formula 2 World Championship for the fourth successive year,
he also campaigned a 750 cc version of the same bike in
Formula 1. He failed to win the Isle of Man FZ race, coming
second, but won at Vila Real (at 90.81 mph, or 146.14 km/h).
Trevor Nation, also on a 600TT2, came second in the
championship. In Formula 1, Rutter managed third overall on the
new Ducati during the 1984 season, and the 750 had limited
success in endurance racing. At the non-championship Le Mans
24 Hour race in April, a 750 TT1 ridden by Mare Granie, Philippe
Guichon, and Didier Vuillemin finished fourth; there were only 18
finishers from a field of 54, They followed this up with a fourth at
the Osterreichring 1,000 km race, third in the Liege 24 Hours at
Spa, and fourth at the Mugello Six Hours. They finished fifth in
the final placings.

The works bike of Walter Villa and Walter Cussigh came fourth
at the ADAC Eight Hour race at the Niirburgring, but was plagued
with problems throughout the season. The TT1 differed slightly
from the TT2. It still had the cantilever swing-arm, but this was
wider to accommodate wider wheels, and was painted red and
blue, rather than red and yellow. The countershaft sprocket was
offset for the larger section rear tyre and the wheel now included
a quick-change assembly in which the disc and caliper stayed in
the swing-arm as the wheel and sprocket were removed. A
16-inch front wheel was specified, but most were raced with an
18-inch front, The 35 mm magnesium Marzocchi forks were
retained. B8 mm pistons and the longer 61.5 mm stroke gave
748 cc. It no longer had the wet clutch, but a
mechani-cally-operated dry clutch housed in an NCR primary
drive cover. With the same valve sizes as the TT2, claimed
power was only up to 80 bhp at the rear wheel.

The factory racer used by Walter Villa dik'ered considerably from
the customer TT1. The steering-head angle was reduced to 24º,
and a rising rate suspension system was used, similar to the
Suzuki full-floater, along with a box-section swing-arm. The bikes
immediately suffered suspension problems, with retirement at Le
Mans. During 1984, 41.7 mm Kayaba front forks with hydraulic
anti-dive were tried, from a Suzuki RG500, before settling on
new 42 mm aluminium slider Marzocchis. Brakes were the new
type of quickly-detach-ahle four piston Brembos with larger, 300
mm discs, and a small, 230 mm disc at the rear. Marvic
three-spoke 16-inch front wheels were used, along with 16-, 17-
or 18-inch tears. Rim widths ranged from 3.5 inches on the front
to .5,5 inches on the rear. By the end of the season a 16-inch
front and 17-inch rear wheel were fitted, along with the new
series of Michelin radial. The claimed dry weight was 287 lb (130

The engine was considerably developed from the TT2. Larger
valves (44 mm and:38 mm) were operated by camshafts with
intake lift of 11.45 mm and exhaust lift of 10.35 mm. Timing
figures were inlet opening 75* before top dead centre, and
closing 90º after bottom dead centre, and exhaust opening 102*
before bottom dead centre, and closing 61º after top dead
centre. Stranger, American-made Carillo con-rods were used on
a standard, polished crankshaft. The 10.3:1 pistons inhere the
cause of one failure during the season, as were problems with
valve seats, but the engine still produced 94 bhp at 10,000 rpm
with the 41 mm Dell'Orto-Malossi carburettors, reduced slightly
to 90 bhp for 24-hour events. The Bosch ignition rotor and
alternator were now fitted in the magnesium left-side case, away
from engine oil, and a mechanically-operated dry clutch replaced
the previous hydraulic one. The factory TT1 was by now
significantly removed from the TT2, and ready for another
assault on the World Endurance Championship, and Italian Fl, in

Before detailing the Fl events, it must be mentioned that 1985
was also the final year for the TT2. Tony Rutter, riding a factory
TT1 with the rising rate rear suspension, but fitted with a 600 cc
engine, again won the Formula 2 race at the Isle of Man, but at
the slower speed of 107,79 mph (173.47 km/h), He followed this
with » second at Vila Real, and a third at Montjuich Park.
Unfortunately a serious accident in the Fl race at Montjuich, on a
Suzuki GSXR 750, tragically ended Rutter's career, and he was
lucky to survive, having been initially pronounced dead. Despite
not completing the season, Rutter still managed to finish second
in the World TT F2 Championship that year. His record of four
World Championships had been amongst the most significant
racing results ever achieved by Ducati.

Despite all the development on the lTl by Taglioni, Franco Fame,
and Walter Villa, the 1985 Endurance season was even less
successful than the previous year. The only placings were a fifth
and sixth at the opening round at Monza with Walter
Cussigh/Oscar la Feria, and Virginio Ferrari/Marco Lucchinelli. In
the Formula 1 World Championship, Dieter Rechtenbach
managed sixth overall, by virtue of finishing second at Montjuich,
ahvays Ducati's most successful venue. Another significant
result for the TT1 was Marco Lucchinelli's sixth place in the
Daytona Formula 1 race in March. It was a different story in the
Italian Formula 1 Championship. Here TT1 Ducatis filled the first
seven places, with Virginio Ferrari taking the title from Marco

1986 started well, with Marco Lucchinelli winning the Battle of the
Twins race at Daytona in March on an experimental 851 cc (92 x
64 mm) 750F1-based racer at just over 104 mph (167 km/h).
Lucchinelli raced in both the Formula 1 and Battle of the Twins,
and later went on to win the Battle of the Twins race at Laguna
Scca. He also won the opening round of the World TT Formula 1
Championship at the Autodromo Santa Monica, at Misano, on 6
April, at an average speed of 90.14 mph (145.06 km/h).
Unfortunately he couldn't repeat this performance in other
rounds. C3raeme lulcGregor eventually came sixth overall in the
championship on a non-factory TTl.

There was no factory involvement in the Endurance World
Championship until the debut of the new water-cooled
eight-valve 748 at the Bol rf Or in September, but that is the
beginning of a new generation, and belongs in Chapter 13.
However, at the Jerez Eight Hour race on 28 September, Juan
Garriga and Marco Lucchinelli were teamed together on . a
four-valve 7.50TTl. They had pole position and initially led the
race, eventually finishing second. Later, at:: the Barcelona 24
Hour race on 26 . October 1986 (a non-champianshi . event)
Juan Garriga, Carlos Cardus, and the steadfast Benjamin Grau
won' using the 8i1 cc version of the lT1, proving the reliability of
the larger engine. An 818 cc (92 x 51.5 mm): version of the
engine was also tried during 1986, notably by Jimmp Adamo at
the Battle of the Twins race at Daytona.
The final outing for the factory air-:. cooled racer was at the Pro
Twins race: at Laguna Scca in 1987, Marcai Lucchinelli again
rode, and his B51 bike featured revised inlet ports an ducting
and metal shrouding aroun the rear cylinder to keep it coal. The
stan J arel TTI chassis was fitted with a new type of upside-down
White Power fork irish a singl<:, centrally-located spring damper
unit. At the rear, a lightweight GSG Roma shock ahsorher was
used. Wheels were Marvic 17-inch front and rear.

Besides the factory bikes, which were undoubtedly the most
spectacular, TT1 replicas were ividely raced with some success
throughout the world, In Spain, Antonio Cobas built a frame for
the Fl, and Kenny Roberts tested chic bike at. Misano in August
1985 along with the Cagiva ClOV 500 cc Grand Prix bike. Juan
Cmrriga had raced it at the Kfontjuich round of the World
Formula 1 championship (the same race where Tony Ruttcr was
injured), and had actually led at one stage before craching. In
Australia, future OP rider Kevin Magee rrii3c local tuner Boh
Brr>wn's home-built 750 TT1 to sr>me orna-in' results
throughout. 1984 and 1985 against 1,0CO cc HonBas and
Su-ukis. Later the bike was enbrgcd to 850 cc and raced by
Robert Holclen and Aaron Slight with consiclerable success in
the emerging Superhike clasa In Battle of the Twins classes
around the world, replicas of the TT1 took over where t.he
higger twins left off, but as a competitor t.o the Japanese heal-on
the TT1 was now outdated. The two-valve Pantah heads had
reached the limit of their development, and a new cylinder-head
design was needed.

( From "The Ducati Story" by Ian Falloon / Haynes
Publishing 1996)
Cycle -
April 1985

1975 750SS vs.
1985 TT750 F
750 Pantah TT1

Never say Die,
Never say never

October 1984
Cycle - By Phil Schilling